The Guardians of the Cedars' position on the Taef accord
It is typically normal for the party to reject in meaning and form the Taef accord because it fundamentally contradicts its ideology, political program and strategy.
The main reasons behind the party's position are:
- The accord was prepared and signed outside the Lebanese territories in Saudi Arabia, the same country that sponsored the Riyad accord which granted the Syrians a legitimate cover under what was known at the time as the Arab Deterrent Force. Saudi Arabia financed the wars of the Palestinians and strangers against Lebanon. It also covered the expenses of the Syrian regime's occupation of it.
From its position as a resisting party and in the name conscience of the genuine Lebanese resistance we say: The Lebanese people strictly rejects any accord imposed on it from without and only accepts decisions that are made on its territory and based on its national will. Doing this, we remain faithful to every drop of blood that was spilled on this holy ground while confronting the Palestinian harlotry and Syrian occupation.
- The Taef accord puts Lebanon under the mandate of the Arabs and this constitutes a fraudulence to its true identity.
- The very same politicians who previously signed the Cairo accord in 1969, were responsible for drafting the Taef accord. The Lebanese people was yearning to try them instead of giving them a chance to sign a new humiliating accord.
- The Taef accord gave Syria a free hand in Lebanon's fate. It is now using Lebanon as a tool in its struggle against Israel while the Syrio-Israeli frontier is calm and quiet .
- Our rejection to the Taef accord is compatible with the will of the vast majority of the Lebanese people who marched to Baabda palace in 1989 to announce their rejection to it.
- The constitutional reforms that rendered Lebanon with a 3-head (troika) political system and showed that the war was one between the Lebanese themselves.
- The demand to have distinctive relations with Syria which we completely reject and strife against.
- Forcing Lebanon to go back into the traditional politics that was the main reason behind the war.
Anyone who reads history carefully, perceive beyond doubt that the Lebanese people knows how to bend without being broken, how to revolt at the right time and will remain, as always, a dramatic people whose challenge is his fate.